Motions of the Sun Lab — Instructor Resources
Them NAAP Motions of the Sun Lab pedagogical objectives are aimed at putting the pieces introduced in the Basic Coordinates and Seasons Lab and The Rotating Sky Lab together for a more complete picture of motions of the sun in the sky. Computation of meridional altitude is also introduced.
- Classroom Demonstration Guide: PDF version, MS Word version
- Student Guide: PDF version, MS Word version
- Assessment Pretest: PDF version, MS Word version
- Assessment Posttest: PDF version, MS Word version
The Motions of the Sun Lab has no prerequisites. It is the capstone segment following Basic Coordinates and Seasons Lab and The Rotating Sky Lab. With proper pre-instruction, this can be used as a stand-alone module.
This module fits well during the coordinates and seasons portion of a curricula. It is slightly more advanced than many presentations on the subject.
- The earth isn't perfectly spherical. This slight latitude modification isn't included.
- The simulator loops over the same year, but there is a very slight variation over a year.