Eclipsing Binary Stars Lab— Instructor Resources
The NAAP Eclipsing Binary Stars Lab pedagogical objectives are to help students understand how unseen data can be inferred from the visible with eclipsing binaries. In the process students can learn/review concepts such as center of mass, luminosity, spectral types and more.
- Classroom Demonstration Guide: PDF version, MS Word version
- Student Guide: PDF version, MS Word version
- Assessment Pretest: PDF version, MS Word version
- Assessment Posttest: PDF version, MS Word version
- Technical Manual: PDF version
There are many simplifications used in the simulator. The most substantial simplification is in representing stars as uniform circular discs. We are ignoring such complications as limb darkening, ellipticity, and reflection effects.